ETAC Region Updates
Family Engagement Resource
Harvard University’s Dr. Karen Mapp*, an authority on evidence-based family engagement practice, recently revised her Dual Capacity-Building Framework for Family-School Partnerships and now has a website to assist practitioners with implementing effective family engagement.
Revisions address the most prominent barriers to effective partnerships, best practice to cultivate and sustain partnerships, the importance of the essential conditions for effective family engagement, and capacity outcomes.
You can find the revised Dual Capacity-Building Framework here. If you are looking for quantitative measures to assess your family engagement practice and one that aligns with the Dual Capacity-Building Framework, you can use Panorama Education’s Family-School Relationship survey found here.
*Dr. Karen Mapp is a senior lecturer of education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE) and the faculty director of the Education Policy and Management Master’s Program. Over the past 20 years, Mapp’s research and practice focus has been on the cultivation of partnerships among families, community members and educators that support student achievement and school improvement.
Join us at our Eastern NYS Community Schools Conference at Manhattanville College
Learn from our team of experts on school-based health clinics, trauma-informed care, family engagement, mental health, mentoring, expanded learning time, leadership, aligning systems that support a community school strategy, the nuts and bolts of community schools, and more!
Friday, October 4, 2019
8:00 am -9:30 am: Community Schools 101
(optional; please note your participation when you register)
9:30 am – 3:30 pm: full conference
Workshops will be led by experts and practitioners, including:
- Dr. Ray Sanchez (Keynote Speaker), Superintendent, Ossining Union Free School District
- Miriam Avila, North Rockland Central School District
- Dr. Andrew Bell, Westchester County Department of Community Mental Health
- Janice Chu-Zhu, Children’s Aid National Center for Community Schools
- Maria Flores, Peekskill City School District
- Lissette Gomez, Director of Special Projects, National Center for Community Schools
- Megan Mastrogiacomo, Ossining Union Free School District
- Dr. David Mauricio, Peekskill City School District
- Dr. Kevin McCahill, Nanuet Union Free School District
- Theresa McSweeney, New York State United Teachers
- Rose Ann Mercado, Nanuet Family Resource Center
- Dr. Jen Siaca Curry, Change Impact
- Carrieann Sipos, Ossining Union Free School District
- Carolyn Williams, New York State United Teachers
The day will also include an opportunity to meet Dr. JoAnne Ferrara, author and associate dean at Manhattanville College, along with a raffle to win a copy of her recently published book, Community Schools: People and Places Transforming Education and Communities.
Do you have a community school story that you would like featured in our e-newsletter?
Email email@example.com or call 845-627-5437.